Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Spiced Apples

There is just something about this time of year that takes me back to the carefree days of my childhood.  The cool air, the fall spices, the pumpkin and apples.....I can close my eyes and almost breath the smells of Thanksgiving and Christmas of days gone by (it also helps that I have yummy holiday scents in my scentsy warmer...haha!).  It's my absolute favorite time of the year.  I remember one thing in particular growing up that my mom used to make.  She called it Spiced Tea.  I'm not sure what all was in it, but I remember cloves and cinnamon and tangy and sweet.....ahhhhh...So good.

Anyway, since our diet has changed, I can't drink the spiced tea anymore, so I love to try and recreate some of that flavor in my foods.  That's what I attempted to do here, and with Michael's resounding "Mom.  These.  Are.  DEE-WICIOUS!!", I think I may have done just that.

I have had cinnamon apples before and thought they were delicious, but I wanted to kick it up a notch and spice them a little more.  Here's what I came up with...

Spiced Apples

4 apples of your choice (I used pink lady)
3 Tbsp butter (or coconut oil if you are dairy free)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves

Peel, core and slice apples (I got about 16 wedges per apple).  In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add apples, cinnamon and cloves.  Stir to combine.  Reduce heat and cover.  Stirring occasionally, cook apples for about 20 minutes or until desired tenderness.


No comments:

Post a Comment