Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Butternut Squash With Honey Roasted Pecans

 Fall is one of my favorite seasons.  It's cool enough for a jacket but not freezing, and the smells and spices are so warm and inviting.  I look forward to this time of year basically once spring is over (I actually love winter too for a couple of days, but after that I am ready for spring....and then spring becomes my new favorite season.  I'm a fair weather fan, I guess!  Ha!)

So the other day, I was watching tv and a commercial came on.  Chef Alex from the food network was talking about a honey sweetened dish made with Fisher pecans and butternut squash and I was hooked on the commercial.  I promptly pulled out my computer and googled the recipe.  To my dismay, there were way more ingredients than mentioned on the commercial, as well as sugar in the recipe.  Since I didn't have most of the ingredients and we don't eat processed sugars, I set out to create a dish that tasted like fall but made with ingredients I already had in my pantry.  Mike tasted it and said "Now that tastes like fall".  SUCCESS!!  Ya'll enjoy!





Butternut Squash with Honey Spiced Pecans

Inspired by Chef Alex and the fisher nuts commercial

1 butternut squash
2 tbsp coconut oil melted  plus a little for the pan
2c chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ c honey
¼ tsp plus a pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 400 Degrees.

Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds.  Peel the squash and chop into cubes.  Spread a small amount of coconut oil on the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan.  Add chopped butternut squash to the pan and drizzle with 2 Tbsp coconut oil.  Work the oil around with your hands to make sure each piece of squash is covered.  Sprinkle with ¼ tsp salt.  Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.

On a small baking sheet, pour out chopped pecans.  Roast in the oven for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, honey, and a pinch of salt.  When pecans are finished, add to mixture.  Mix well. 

Once the butternut squash is done, top with pecan mixture and serve.


1 comment: