Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Grain Free Cookies....Two Ways

Today. Was. Cold!  A front came through last night and we woke up to a brisk 39 degrees!  Wait.  What'd I just say?!  Brisk?  Ha!   Brisk is putting it lightly.....it was freezing!  According to my weather app, it was a "polar invasion" (they aren't dramatic at all, are they?!).  So, tonight we started a fire, brewed some coffee and I made some homemade cookies (two ways.....woot woot).  I'm super excited to share these with you!!  

Since making the transition to eating mostly according to Paleo/Primal guidelines, Mike and I have given up peanut butter.  I love peanut butter.  I used to eat it by the spoonful.  So, on occasion, I like to splurge and one of the ways I love to do this is by making these cookies.  Two birds....one stone....you get the point.  :)  Yum, yum, yum!

So, here is the recipe....I actually made two versions; one with peanut butter and one with almond butter and chocolate chunks.  I'm so excited how the almond butter ones turned out!  They are soft and chewy, and are probably the closest thing to a real chocolate chip cookie that I have had in a long time.  Also, just fyi, this recipe will not work with honey.  I have tried it and it was a major fail.  It needs something granulated to keep the dough from being too wet, so I chose coconut sugar for it's low glycemic index and for the fact that it is unrefined and organic.


Peanut Butter Cookie

1 c peanut butter
1 c coconut sugar 
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.  Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet.  Flatten by making a crisscross pattern with a fork.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes or so and serve.








Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 c almond butter
1 c coconut sugar
2 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 c chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place all ingredients, except chocolate chunks, in a bowl and mix thoroughly.  Once combined, stir in chocolate chunks.  Spoon onto a cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes or so and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment