Pages

Monday, November 10, 2014

In Honor of Veteran's Day

For those of you who know me and my family, know that Mike was in the Army back when he and I first were dating and married.  He spent 6 years in the Army National Guard and 18 months in Iraq (thankfully prior to us reconnecting, I would have been a nervous wreck!!).  That being said, Veteran's day always holds a special place in my heart and I'd like to say thank you to Mike and to all the veterans!  The reason we have the freedoms we have today are because of your acts of service. Thank you for making and keeping the United States free.

Here is a picture of my favorite veteran.





So since this is a food blog, I have a recipe.  It's a light and delicious little dessert I like to make for patriotic holidays.  So sorry the picture isn't the greatest.  I didn't take it with a food blog in mind :)


I actually cheated and got the cookie crust recipe here, so it's not a completely original recipe, but I did create the frosting :)  Anyway, I hope you enjoy!


Grain Free Patriotic Dessert Pizza

Crust
2 ½ c blanched almond flour
¼ c honey
1 egg
2 tsp coconut oil
½ tsp vanilla
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt


Cream Cheese Frosting
1 block cream cheese, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp honey
¼ c coconut cream (the thick stuff off the top of the can of coconut milk)

1 package strawberries
1 package blueberries

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish. 

Make the crust by placing all the ingredients in a food processor and process until a smooth ball forms, around 30 seconds.  Press dough into pan and bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cool completely.

While crust is cooling, make the frosting.  Place all ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.  Set aside or place in the fridge until crust is cool.

Trim the stems off of the strawberries and slice in half lengthwise. 

When crust is completely cool, spread frosting over the crust and arrange blueberries and strawberries in the shape of the US flag.


Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.   Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment