Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Baked Grapefruit

I've been thinking.....there's a lot of things to talk about going on in my life, so I am thinking that I will make two posts; one with a recipe and one with an update on life happenings.  Let me know if you like that better or if you prefer it combined.  I want you to keep reading and happy, so whichever you all prefer, that's what I will do.

A few years ago, Mike took me to a bed and breakfast in Bowie, Tx for my birthday.  It was a wonderful weekend of fun and relaxing (with a quick trip to winstar....I WON!!), but one of the best things that I took away from the weekend was a delicious addition to our breakfast one morning; a baked grapefruit.  I am not a huge fan of grapefruit.  I think it is bitter and is definitely not first (or even 10th) in the lineup of fruits I enjoy eating.  HOWEVER, this grapefruit was yummy!  So, I set out to recreate what our sweet hostess made for us that weekend.

Here's what I came up with!!

BAKED GRAPEFRUIT


1 Grapefruit cut in half
2 tsp butter or coconut oil
1/4-1/2 tsp cinnamon (to taste...I prefer closer to 1/2)
2 tsp honey or coconut sugar
1 tsp Rum or Bourbon (optional)

1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  With a small knife, cut around each little segment of the grapefruit.  This will allow for the flavors to sink down through the whole fruit rather than just sitting on top, plus it will help it come out easier when you eat it (thanks mom for this tip!)
3.  Place grapefruit on baking sheet
4.  Starting with the butter/coconut oil, layer the remaining ingredients on top of the grapefruit pieces (dividing evenly between the two halves)
5.  Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes.  When it is done, some of the
juices will be on the bottom of the pan, pour back over the top of the grapefruit.
6.  Serve warm.

Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment